2-½ lb boneless pork butt cut into 1” cubes
½ cup soya
½ cup brown sugar
1/4-cup rice vinegar
5 oz water
4 garlic cloves sliced
3 star anise
1 west Indian pepper seeded and cut in half
2 tbsp potato starch
1/3 cup cold water
1 ½ lg mango on the firm side cut into 1” cubes
2-3 sprigs of thai basil leaves removed and cut into a chiffonade
1 lime (juice of)
1 bunch of asparagus
a few leaves of leaf lettuce for garnish
2. Place everything but the pork into a pot and bring to a boil. Add the pork and toss. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and pour contents through a strainer with a bowl underneath to catch the poaching liquid. Place the liquid into another pot and bring to a boil. Blend the potato starch and the water together with a
3. Whisk. Add a little bit at a time to the boiling liquid while whisking until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Cook a few minutes more on medium heat to eliminate any raw starch flavor.
5. Place the mango cubes into a bowl with the limejuice and basil then toss to mix.
6. Trim away the bottom 2 ½” of the asparagus stalks and discard. Peel away the Place the asparagus into a steamer and steam for 5 minutes.
8. Place a piece of the leaf lettuce onto each plate to start. Lay on top of the lettuce
9. 3 asparagus spears. Place 4-5 cubes of pork over the asparagus followed by some of the thickened adobo glaze then drop 4 cubes of mango overtop.